Monday, January 14, 2008

Post-weekend 2

I want to start off by thanking everybody!! You guys have all been so amazing in your support and cheering me on in this struggle. And it is still at times, a struggle. It's mostly a struggle with boredom and what to do with myself at home, when I'm slightly bored, that doesn't include thinking about having a smoke or worse yet, actually having one. I think I may take my mom's suggestion and ask Gramma Mare to teach me how to knit ... it'll help to keep my hands & mind busy.

Mikey hit the nail on the head with this post . For some reason, the ads with the scare tactics just made me turn away or turn the channel and ignore it ... but the ones that tell you the positive things about quitting and the good things that will happen 20 minutes (blood pressure returns to normal), a day (chance of heart attack decreases), a month (coughing, shortness of breath decreases) ... 10 years (lung cancer death rate similar to that of nonsmokers) ... after you quit smoking seem to have a better impact, on me at least. It's intriguing actually, to see how your body begins to mend itself.

I hadn't read this anywhere but it's one thing that I've personally noticed ... I sleep better and wake up earlier (which is good and bad). I don't feel nearly as groggy and spacey and generally crappy as I did a week and 4 days, 216 cigarettes not smoked and $57 not spent on said smokes not smoked, ago when I would get up in the morning. I find myself waking up before my alarm goes off and anyone who knows me .... that was completely UNHEARD of!!!!

Thanks again Mikey for the awesome post and encouragement ... I'm going to spend my hard earned, not spent on cigarettes, money in Florida this weekend ... possibly on some good food and/or wine that I'll be able to taste better b/c I'm not smoking

2 comments:

Mike Garvey said...

Cigarette hangovers were the worst. In the semester I worked in a bar, I'd smoke a pack a night and feel like the bottom of an ashtray the next morning.

Anonymous said...

You're going to Fla.? GREAT! Knitting lessons are available any time. Also, sinus issues and the old common cold are very far and few between after the nicotine is gone. It's really amazing what those things do to you. Your doing a great job-hang in there. G-Mare